SFX Gelatin can be used to create many different special effects. It is excellent for zombie skin and burn makeup. You can buy gelatin that you can heat yourself and apply to the skin. You can also buy pre-mixed gelatin that can be heated in a water bath or in a microwave. Another names for gelatin in Special FX Makeup is 3D-gel.
Note: If you are a vegetarian, silicone can be a good alternative.
- Not so pricey.
- Leftovers can be reheated and reused, that’s not possible with other materials.
- Gelatin be used to create cool burns and other injuries.
- Easy to remove.
- Can melt if it is too hot and you sweat a lot. Therefore gelatin is not recommended for long term use or in warmer climates.
- Not as durable as silicone.
- Gelatin need to get heated before application.
TIPS WHEN CREATING EFFECTS WITH GELATIN
- Test the temperature of the gelatin before starting application to the skin so you don’t get burned!
- You can buy gelatin powder from the grocery store and make it yourself by mixing it with glycerin and water.
- It is also possible to buy pre-mixed gelatin for SFX make-up which you heat yourself in the microwave or hot water bath.
Were to buy SFX Gelatin
You can find a list here of recommended sellers of materials and makeup products to special effects makeup: